WELCOME TO THE DESERT OF THE REAL. ALL THINGS THAT CAN HAPPEN WILL.

WHERE WE'RE GOING, WE WON'T NEED EYES TO SEE

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

old stuff


Fold the parchment, let it fall
Off the tracks and down the falls
Kiss the wind and let it ride
Let the promises take flight


Wish on stars with open eyes
Greet the burning light with pride
Feel the feathers of his breath
Tantalize with soft caress


Flood the daydreams with your mind
So many treasures there to find
And if you blink, it’s gone again
A dozen lanterns around the bend


Let slip the daylight into shadow
Fall back into the downy pillows
Find me in the in-between
The real world meets our make-believe


Fold the parchment let it ride
Upon the zephyr through the sky
Ride the torrent down again
To wander in the labyrinth

Collect it all in a box of light
Store it deep and out of sight
Secrets, secrets you and I
The promise of a paradise


And if I speak the spell is done
We rise with the climbing sun
Separate now, but still together
In our dreams, in love forever


Gone too Soon


When honey freezes cold with snow
The angels weep and winds do blow
When candles kiss the wax in death
Many take their final breath


When circles ripple out of shape
And rust has eaten at the gates
Creaking in the overgrowth
Many let go of the rope


When chimneys sit in sullen silence
Without the fuel to feed their violence
When fate has cast a heavy hand
Many chose to leave this land


When bakers bake the meal-worms dry
And all the children are left to cry
The skies above cloud up with doom
Many whisper: “Gone too soon”

I remember when he passed
All the flickers filled with laughs
Each and every one outside
Had no idea that he died


And I remember to this day still
That HE is buried on that hill
Not myself, this raving loon
And yes, I whispered: “Gone too soon”


Hand in hand we walked away
And nothing else was left to say
The sun was blotting out his moon
And all had whispered: “Gone too soon”


Shoreline

She turns away to face the tides
Shedding tears from hidden crimes
All the ghosts wrapped up in skin
Idle tricks stained white with sin
She lingers on the edge of earth
Where sand and ocean teach rebirth
Driftwood floats like separate lives
Each one has a past to hide
And still the wind blows, on and on
Gales of guilt, she hurt someone
Desire to climb up from the pit
Yet hungry waves crash over it
Solitary now as then
But courted by the gentlemen
Salt air strips the gloss away
And all that’s left is yesterday
Waning hours cool the beach
As whispers of the prophets preach
The voices rise up from the deep
Calling for her soul to keep

Gray and wispy, hair and thought
With memories of the fish she caught
And still there’s one that got away
When she gave the life inside away
The Sand by the Shore

Carry me down
To the waves by the sand
I left my life there
In the ocean’s hands

Lay me down soft
And let the tide come on in
I’ve lived far too long
In this tired, old skin

Life after life
I’ve followed her home
And in the depths of the water
I will not be alone

I’ve seen men move mountains
To build their empires
And raze all the forests
To stoke the fires

But nothing lasts, child
Not even our dreams
We all return some time
To the dark of the deep

Walk away quickly,
There’s no use for tears
We’ll meet again, brother
We all come back here

And days become night
The deeper we swim
The old life dissolves
And a new one begins

Don’t be afraid
We’re never alone
Everyone needs help to
Carry the stone

And if you pass by, now
Don’t shed a tear
In the depths of the ocean
Our pain disappears

A cycle folds closed
And a new one unfurls
We wash up reborn
On the shores of the world

Stretch out our hands
To touch the blue skies
Excited and willing to
Start our new lives

Carry me down to the sand by the shore…

The waltz

She waltzed alone in clouded skies
The floor half-puddles, the floor half dry
And sometimes she just shines too bright
For me to find her at my side

The film rolls empty, the shutter clicks
A portrait captures all this bliss
Silk and perfume to barter with
Across time my mind plays tricks

Am I the shadow grown too long?
The days fade into evenings long
The paint has dried, the band plays on
Yet who will be her lucky one?

I made a choice to let it be
It was too afraid to see
I let her go, my tragedy
She smiled; waltzed away from me

2 comments: